Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Streets

Downtown Kalamazoo is one of those "in-between" cities. In between being an unknown, small city and being a big, busy city. Burdick Street, apparently, gives a good look at the "heart" of the downtown area. We didn't venture too into the street, but I assume that, that was the street we walked down- don't get me wrong, a positive aspect of Kalamazoo is their detailed road/shopping signs in their "Mall District," I just get disoriented/lost easily. Anyway, we made our observations on a Friday in early afternoon; there weren't many people out and about, but some we saw. Not exactly what is desired in the "heart" of the district, but it was also cold. It was good to see that the gardener kept up the landscaping, which I should mention was very viscerally appealing. The trees were presented in a way that I think would please the city critics, Whyte and Gibbs. It was hard for me to decide what I thought was a generator... but the majority of the stores had large windows that kept a passerby looking (especially the walk-in shoe display!). In terms of safety, it seemed very safe there. When we evaluated the street and area around the Rave, it felt less safe. I imagine it was due to the lack of people/stores/trashcans/benches and the abundance of trash/bare walls. The upside to that section, and much of downtown, is the parking- there is lots of parking available. In downtown, the sidewalk are decently wide, I imagine pretty appropriate for the amount of people using it. Generally speaking, the farther from the Mall District and stores, the less safe it feels- it's safe for shoppers.

To improve the downtown I might reorganize the assortment and location of businesses. Why are all the banks in one spot? Is that really beneficial? And the Rave, I'd imagine, is a generator. Why are there no stores located by it at all? That would bring in business! People leave the theater all happy and just-watched-a-movie-y and then they stop in at a nearby store because going home seems so lame and I mean, we're already out and about...
As I mentioned earlier, I didn't do in depth  research on what stores existed, but I felt like some were missing. There didn't seem to be a variety of clothing shops and, in general, many of the shops didn't properly assert what they were selling in the first place. Plus, there wasn't much for a young person to be attracted to- I have only seen one yoga place, no "typical" clothing stores, no inexpensive stores... There are three nearby colleges and yet the Rave seemed to be the only thing likely to get used- and there's nothing nearby!
Lastly, I saw one cop car- and it was empty. I might imagine there being at least one actual cop to be seen. I also didn't see a pay-phone...Haven't seen one in a while though... Or a drinking fountain, but that's not really popular or sanitary anyway.


From the sixth chapter of William Whyte's book City:
"...but the sidewalk does work well... Cafes and delis have been putting out chairs and tables on the sidewalk..."
I know, I know, Mr. Gibbs. You hate tables and chairs and local teens and solicitors. Well... I think there is a place and time for a table and a few chairs. Think about the people who have to write something or need to set their stuff down or direct their children! I know that it was such a tough thing to do, write without something hard under it. We ended up using the cement wall for the plants as seating. I'm not suggesting that it be everywhere, but... at least by the cafes and delis... oh, wait... I didn't see any of those...

No comments:

Post a Comment