Thursday, November 4, 2010

Comp/Cont

(Comparing last two posts.)

I don't think that Whyte and Gibbs are talking about the same location. Whyte clearly is focused on cities. Big cities. I felt that Gibbs was talking about small-medium cities. Cities that were once useful, but now need to add some pizazz to make them relevant. New York City doesn't really need to add pizazz to increase the amount of shoppers. Not significantly anyway. It still has abundant amounts of people. Naturally, there approaches are different. They have different agendas. Help increase patrons with organization and modernizing and then voice what works in a thriving, big city and what could have been thought of to increase function. (Gibbs and Whyte, respectively.) I believe that they are both convincing because I feel that they aren't talking about the same place. Gibbs convinces me because 1) we have the same opinion, and 2) he's thorough and explains his design suggestions well. Whyte convinces me because 1) I've never been to a big city like that so I haven't much personal knowledge to work with and 2) he gives many real-life examples of where his design suggestions actually are working out for people. They are both experienced, and reasonable, so I feel like I believe both. Based on writing style, I think due to the more down-to-earth and stream-of-conscious style that Whyte has, I would be more likely to believe his word. Gibbs could come off as a critic and a weirdo.

I'm attracted to a balanced number of people around. Not because of safety, I'm pretty indifferent about safety. I like style, as in what style a store is going for. On that note, I'm repelled by a city with a theme- especially if it's not at a site where the point is to have a theme. Greenfield Village. Good. Random town that is trying to look like the "olden days." Bad. Very bad. I like cities to be less uniform. (By the way, I love Greenfield Village.) I'm attracted to brick and stone. I'm visually attracted to dirty, rundown cities. I do not, though, want to shop there. I just want to look at it. I'm attracted to professionalism. Mom and Pop stores freak me out... they just seem so sketchy. I'm attracted to bright, yet soft lighting. Not harsh and makes me look totally yellow and gross and washed out, but also not dark and creepy. Generally, I care less about cleanliness in the street than in an actual store. It's hard to really say what is attractive and repelling when I have to try and remember what being in a city is like...

No comments:

Post a Comment