Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Science of Shopping

(...Based on the scarily interesting, yet terrifyingly LONG article "The Science of Shopping" by Malcolm Gladwell.)

The important points of this article are varied. I think one point was that, as much as we'd like it not to be true, we, as shoppers, are very much predictable. That being true, with research, stores have the ability to transform these habits and preferences into layouts and designs that try to make more profit. Another point was that stores nowadays go to raise the amount of product sold per person, rather than focusing on trying to create more shoppers in general. Lastly, I think a subtle point was just a look at how much retailers try and try and try to capture the desire of the buyer. They put a lot of effort into the look and feel of their store. I'm not sure what is to be said about this though.

I guess I haven't noticed certain types of store's layouts. I notice grocery store layouts because I've read about them in past years. I just realized, after reading this, that I had made an observation earlier this summer that is relevant even though it was completely random at the time... I had noticed that sale/clearance items, in clothing store particularly, are usually all the way in the back of the store. I remember in this article that the farther into the shop a customer goes, the more likely s/he will buy something(s). I think that because I typically don't notice stores' layouts, I'm probably influenced by them. Thinking back, I noticed that I do usually turn right in a store and if I have to ask for assistance I probably won't buy anything (or bother asking for the assistance in the first place!) I can't say whether or not my butt being more/less likely to be touched has been a major influence... All of this said, I can't really tell you which layout I like or respond best to. I just don't know. I just like buying things.

How I Would Want To Analyze A Retail Store/Things I Would Consider:
  • The location. It's mentioned that being near banks has a negative effect, etc.
  • The color scheme/palate. If you're a rebellious store, look rebellious. I think the colors and decor of a store should reflect the reflective nature of the clothes being sold. If you're a store owner and you want your store to appear homey and cozy, you have to mimic this with interior design.
  • How the items are sectioned off. He said that you have a better chance of get a buyer in a ration that is proportional to how far into the store they venture. Put the beloved sale/clearance items in the back- the shopper unconsciously searches and scans over all the other stuff on his/her way to the back. 
  • Have sales people available. DO NOT have them attack you every five seconds since the moment you enter the store. No matter who asks, "Can I help you find anything?" or whatever variation of this question... it's generally going to be replied to with something along the lines of "Nope. Just browsing." I'm always JUST BROWSING. Rarely will I ask. And when I do ask, it's after I've tried it on my own. I understand that the store wants to show that they have staff that is friendly, but... I don't want to be stalked.
  • I think that the amount of shoppers shopping is also important. I don't want TONS of people in the store while I am. When this happens, I feel like I'm being judged a lot. Also, sharing a rack of clothes with one (or more) people is just plain annoying. I'm pretty thorough in my rack searching. There will be much physical force used. If someone is trying to share this with me, I just want to leave and find another rack... or make them leave... On the flip side, if there is no one at all in the store except me and the staff... I start to wonder why... and then I feel like I'm being too loud or that the staff is watching me intently. Sometimes, they get too into trying to help me and then I'm like "GO AWAY!"

No comments:

Post a Comment