Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Perfect Thing

(Discussion based off of this article by Steven Levy from Wired. We're dealing with the creation and behind-the-scenes of the iPod.)

 Essentially design all starts with an idea. "An MP3 music player that would woek with Apple's existing iTunes application and would not suck. Something with a nice visual interface that runs the database program that stores digital song files, then perferms the high-speed mathematical processes that make those fuiles into the same Jimi Hendrix and Yo-Yo-Ma tunes that you'd hear on a CD player." Then it all begins. In this case, the super top secret fun iPod needed a design team. If you're notable in the design techinology world, you could be contacted. Especially if you're Anthony Fadell. Steve Jobs gave his newest design engineer a task (see quote above)- and a deadline in which this design should be completed. There were so many requirements set up right away for him to consider; cost, size, weight, current market, etc. Mr. Fadell had a lot of research and collaborating to do. After a while he started creating models of what he wanted the device to look like. Before things were really put into further development, the models and prototypes had to be present the the Executives. If they all fail... I imiagine it's back to the drawing board... or you're replaced... Luckily, Fadell and Co. produced a design that impressed Mr. Jobs. "The project was a go." Pretty much now it was time to get people officially working on the software, interfaces, industrial design, and various other tasks. Then, the critical analysis happens. The devices she be questioned, poked, and prodded- and, in doing so, made better. Physical prototypes and examples are made and named. Physical damage tests and home testing ensue. Once the product is satisfactory, it's time to proceed to the business and selling department.
Bottom Line: "Development [is] a multi-track process."

Mr. Levy titled his article "The Perfect Thing," likely alluding to the iPod as such. Of course, for me, defining a "perfect thing" or just a "thing" in general is a bit vague, making it difficult to determine what factors I would use to evaluate this P.T. I suppose I would need to know the job that the thing is supposed to do. Does it accomplish it or it it a near-attempt? If it's supposed to be pocket-sized, it should, in fact, be pocket-sized! Generally a few factors I use in evaluating stuff is appearance, connotation, dependability, and popularity.


I don't consider the iPod to be "The Perfect Thing." I think that two strengths it has are its popularity and usefulness. "Cool people" have it and then everyone wants one- MP3 player are often wrongly referred to as iPods because of the immense popularity. I will give it the fact that it is downright useful. We've progressively made music devices and this one takes the cake. More songs, less space. Brilliant. Of course that is true for  MP3 players in general. I don't own an iPod, but I have used one and have found it to be pretty easy to use, and the scroll-y thingy is ridiculously practical. On the flip side, I don't like iTunes. And pretty much don't like the privacy and copyright securities. Of course it was made to be against those things... doesn't mean I have to like it. I also tend to avoid Apple devices due to my father's disdain for them. I consider the fact that it is not $20 or less to be a weakness (or maybe my cheapness is a weakness...). I have known many iPods to break and I'm not about to thrown down hard-earned (or birthday earned) cash  when I could just get a cheaper one that lets me override security/copyrights.
I'm pretty satisfied with my Creative brand Zen MP3 Player.

No comments:

Post a Comment