Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Design of Everyday Things

(Entry based on the same first chapter from the same book as my last entry...)

Here is a brief passage I found interesting: Designing well is not easy. The manufacturer wants something that can be produced economically. The store wants something that will be attractive to is customers. The purchaser has several demands. In the store, the purchaser focuses on price and appearance, and perhaps on prestige value. At home, the same person will pay more attention to the functionality and usability. The repair service cares about maintainability: how easy is the device to take apart, diagnose, and service? The needs of those concerned are different and often conflict. Nonetheless, the designer may be able to satisfy everyone.
I thought this was an interesting passage because he mentions all these needs that I never really thought about before. I mean, a consumer (purchaser) completely changes his needs once he buys the item. This makes me think about my subconscious inner-monologue (...sometimes dialogue...) I didn't realize that I thought that much about all these things. In the post about the "perfect thing," I found it difficult to figure out what I look for. In this passage, Norman pretty much sums up the general thoughts of a consumer. Along the same lines, I knew that being a designer wasn't an easy task, but this really showed that the designer is being pulled in all directions to make an amazing product. The pressure is definitely on.

I think this book, even though first published in the 80's, still influences designers today because Norman speaks the truth. The purchaser hasn't really changed. We generally way the same thing, time and time again. The problem is that, even with this book, bad designs still exist and conquer. Just from reading the first chapter, it's apparent that this book has a unique perspective on designing and the uses of design. Designers should read this book. It's good to understand how people react and act towards design.

Because of this chapter, I would say that my checklist for design evaluation would be:
  • Is the operation system visible?
  • Are buttons clearly labeled? If not, should they be?
  • Does each button/part have it's own operation? If not, do the multiple operations make sense?
  • Is it unnecessarily complex? Or over-simplified?
  • Could the use be learned within two uses?
  • Does it contain false clues?
  • Is there proper feedback?
  • Does it need instruction? If so, are they clearly stated/pictured.
  • Is there definite natural mapping?

No comments:

Post a Comment